NB: This funding call has now closed and 4 successful projects have been selected for funding:
- Optimising Flatland: Inverse design of desalination membranes. Principal Investigator: Dr J. Grant Hill. Lead Institution: University of Sheffield. Project Partners: Imperial College London
- Interpretable crystal descriptions across length scales for materials discovery. Principal Investigator: Dr James Cumby. Lead Institution: University of Edinburgh
- Active Learning for Cost-Efficient Reaction Prediction using Kinetic Data. Principal Investigator: Dr Paul Dingwall. Lead Institution: Queens University Belfast
- Artificial intelligence for reconstruction and super-resolution of chemical tomography. Principal Investigator: Dr Keith Butler, Lead Institution: STFC. Project Partners: Finden, Ltd
We are pleased to announce our second AI3SD funding call. FAQs about our funding calls can be found on our new Funding FAQ Page.
The following priority areas are about New Scientific Discoveries in:
- Novel Machine Learning for Chemical and Materials discovery
- Novel Active Learning AI in the Chemical Science
- New AI based methods for Scientific Discovery in Chemistry
The Key dates are as follows:
- 2nd August 2019 – Announce Call on Website
- 11th September 2019 – AI3SD Network+ Town Meeting & Funding Workshop at Wide Lane, Southampton (Eventbrite Link)
- 19th December 2019 – Application Deadline (application forms must be sent to Samantha Kanza the Network+ Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org)
- 5th February 2020 – Formal Call Announce
Please read the Guidance Document carefully before filling in the Application Form (both files can be downloaded by following these links, or from the AI3SD Documents Page). The Terms and Conditions can be found in our AI3SD Network+ Award Agreement.
Please note: Individual projects can request up to £40,000 funding (total spend up to £50,000 as per FEC 80%). Applicants will be awarded 80% of the full cost, and the institution receiving the award is responsible for the remaining 20%.
If you have any questions please contact our Network+ Coordinator Dr Samantha Kanza on email@example.com
Below are some general points of advice. FAQs about our funding calls can be found on our new Funding FAQ Page.
A few Key Points
- The Call and the Network+
- This call and indeed the network stretches across computing, mathematical sciences, AI and the chemistry and physics areas, chemicals and materials discovery and so is looking to bring together researchers from industry and academia in these wide range of domains.
- Non traditional applicants who are eligible (detailed on the EPSRC Website) are very welcome
- When you put down a finance contact, please make sure to put down someone you have actually spoken to and who has approved your numbers. Similarly the sign off from your institution means that your overall institutional approval includes approving your finance proposals.
- It is ideal to have specific people organised to work on the project you are proposing if you are successful, so we know someone is already lined up.
- There will be administrative obligations. You will need to keep in contact with Dr Samantha Kanza (The Network+ Coordinator) and keep her/the Network+ up to date with your progress (e.g. via a website/blog/reports).
- Recipients of the funding MUST produce a report at the end of the project, or you cannot get the funding.
- We hope that recipients of the funding will attend our Network+ Events, in particular the big Network+ Conference at the end of November this year.
- We understand that writing a technical report may be more in line with the project, so we may arrange a journalist to talk to you to produce a report that is easier to disseminate to non expert audiences.
- We will disseminate about your projects and link to publications on our website.
- Ethics applications
- If you are conducting any studies that involve humans and or personal data then you must obtain ethics approval. If you cannot obtain them through your own institution, please let us know and we can see if we can do it through the Southampton ethics board.